Saturday, January 24, 2009

what is fluency?

What does 'fluent' mean? Does it mean, "getting by" using just your foreign or second language? Are you fluent if you can carry on a conversation? Does somebody who has an office job and has to communicate with coworkers in their language only, qualify for the title "fluent?"

I do all of the above in Japanese. However, I don't consider myself to have reached fluency. I always run into things I don't know how to express. Every time that happens, it reconfirms to me that my knowledge is lacking. I can surely fix that with a lot of input just by watching TV. But since my focus is on Chinese now, the Japanese can wait.

I bring this up because I recently had a conversation with a Japanese tutor at LingQ. I signed up for a 15-minute 1-on-1 conversation that lasted 25 minutes. At 18 minutes and 40 seconds into the conversation, she stated that I was fluent in Japanese. While I wouldn't say it about myself, I guess she has every right to say it. I've made a lot of improvement in the last 1½ years in my ability to speak.

Here is a small mp3 file of the statement the tutor made. It is about 4 seconds long, in Japanese.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, fluency means being able to communicate smoothly, without stopping to much to think, and understand more than 90% of what is being said to you. Even though I stopped studying Japanese almost one year ago, I believe I still have fluency since I can hold a conversation with any Japanese people. Of course I will need some time to get used to flow and rhythm of Japanese language again. Maybe we can divided fluency in various levels,like basic fluency, intermediate fluency, advanced fluency, etc.

    ReplyDelete

No profanity. Please be considerate of others. Thank you.