Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hyunwoo Sun

I have a new interview on YouTube. This time, I would like you to meet Hyunwoo Sun. He is a Korean polyglot who excels at learning many languages. The skill which he has achieved in English just awes me. That is how I want to speak Japanese, Chinese or any language I persue. So I interviewed him to find out what he does, because I could not find that information on Hyunwoo's YouTube channel, in all the videos he has. Maybe he talks about it in Korean. I don't know because I don't know Korean at all.

Since he came to Japan on business for 2 weeks, I grabbed the opportunity to interview him. I threatened to kidnap him if he didn't tell me his secrets for language learning. So he agreed to meet me in a public place where I could not use any special tactics to extract information from him. So with the camera rolling, I set up on the streets of Shinjuku and asked him some grueling questions. And then I edited out all of my questions so the video cannot be used against me to press charges.

Of course, the truth is, I'm a tame fellow and there just wasn't room for my babbling in a YouTube video because of the length restrictions. And Hyunwoo is a great guy too whom you can learn Korean from if you are nice to him.

Really, I got a great interview from Hyunwoo Sun and I want to share it with all of you. He is one of the followers of my blog and that is how I first heard his name. So if you have questions and post comments here, he will read them and probably even reply.

5 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I mean, really. It sounds like his methods are very output based, creating sentences, making mistakes, and recording yourself. Doing that, and checking, and comparing.

    There's so many ways to the same goal.. it seems like the best way is to do just whatever works for you. Or, at least it seems that way.

    Thanks Keith, and thanks Hyunwoo Sun for sharing your insights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not feeling really good about the "make mistakes, they're GOOD for you!" statement. I know many people making mistakes in their target language, and one year later they're making the same mistakes of have gotten worse. Why? Because many think they speak correctly (or that it's ok to speak with many mistakes) while that's not the case.

    I always say; making mistakes is unavoidable, but you can certainly think a bit before you speak and you can pretty much always write a correct letter (you can check things over and over again). You don't learn from your mistakes if you don't know you're making them. So don't be lazy and think that it's ok, because mostly it's NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith. Thanks for making this video. I've been curious with Hyunwoo ssi's thoughts on language learning and your video answered most of the questions I have in mind.

    Thanks again and more power.

    ReplyDelete

No profanity. Please be considerate of others. Thank you.